Combining our know-how on chemical engineering and precision and micro-machining
Combining our know-how on chemical engineering and precision and micro-machining technology, our group is ideally positioned to develop novel devices and processes in the area of microfluidics and microreactor technology.
The ability to accurately position tailor shaped micron-sized structures by precision machining enables microfluidics novel physical and chemical phenomena.
This research line is fed by the vast know-how in micromachining (ranging from sub-micron lithographic etching to micro-precision CNC machining), by the department’s extensive know-how in flow modeling (CFD), as well as by the application know-how in the fields of catalysis and separation science of the department.
Besides on-chip characterization procedures by means of fluorescence microscopy and other on-chip detection methods, the validation of the prototypes occurs with commercially available characterization equipment.
Some currently explored research topics in this area are:
- Reducing chromatographic dispersion with active mixing (ERC SG, PI: W. De Malsche)
- 3D particle image velocimetry (ERC PoC, PI : PI : W. De Malsche)
- Industrial scale 3D emulsifier (ICON, VLAIO, PI : W. De Malsche)
- Acoustic streaming and focusing of micron sized particles (bilateral, PI: W. De Malsche)
- Stool handling and parasite quantification (VLIR-UOS, IOF-POC, PI: W. De Malsche)
- 2D and 3D analytical separation devices containing polymer packings (PI: B. Eeltink)
- Microfluidic solutions for column and detector hyphenation in liquid chromatography (PI: B. Eeltink)
- Industrial scale monodisperse particle production (Innoviris, PI: W. De Malsche)
- Sustainable microfluidic lignin separations (Moonshot, PI: W. De Malsche)
- Dynamics of biocondensates (SRP spearpoint, coordinator: PI: W. De Malsche)
- µFlow cell valorization vehicle for microfluidics (IOF/GEAR group, PI: W. De Malsche)
- Wim De Malsche (PI)
- Dr. Iwona Ziemecka
- Dr. Ilyesse Bihi
- Dr. Quentin Galand
- Filip Legein
- Matthieu Briet
- Vyacheslav Misko
- ir. Pierre Gelin
- M.Sc. Christina Tiflidis
- M.Sc. Agata Kryj
- M.Sc. Martyna Baca
- ir. Amaury de Hemptinne
- ir. Eiko Westerbeek
- ir. Jo Christiaens
- M. Sc. Mehrnaz Hashemiesfahan